In the hustles and bustles of everyday life, our furnace is usually the last thing on our minds. Very few of us wake up in the morning and say to ourselves, “gee, I think I should get a furnace checkup today”. Unfortunately, furnaces are not exempt from problems. So if we want to ensure that they keep us warm during the cold winter months, we need to schedule checkup. Checkups aren’t always convenient. But then again neither is a dead furnace in the middle of winter! Luckily, Lakewood Furnace Repair centres can help.
Scheduled tune-ups can help to prevent freezing cold winter nights in your home. Remember, its all about preventative maintenance. Yearly cleanings are also beneficial in preventing any late night emergencies. And remember, these late night emergencies often result in late night emergency bills. During a cleaning and maintenance checkup, several things should be looked at. Included within these are the many pieces within the furnace. It’s important to check that there aren’t any leaks or ruptures that could cause breakdown, or even worse that could put your family in danger. Again, checkups may seem inconvenient. But in the long run long run they will save you stress, time, and money.
Here are some commonly asked questions regarding furnace repair:
1) I want to fix my furnace myself. Is it safe?
The answer to this question is both yes and no. In some situations, minor repairs are completely safe to do on your own. These include things like checking your own air filter, checking your thermostat, and opening up your air vents. (We will discuss how you can do each of these more below). But the furnace is a complicated machine. So if these quick fixes don’t work, you are better off calling a repair man to ensure your safety.
As promised, here is how to go about each of the above checks:
Inspecting your filter
A clean air filter is essential to the functionality of your furnace. Unfortunately, many people don’t understand this importance and simply write them off. But dirty air can lead to a number of unwanted outcomes. These can include restricted airflow, decreased efficiency, larger heating bills, and a furnace that simply doesn’t work properly. The good news is, checking your air filter is easy and you don’t need a Lakewood Furnace Repair tech to do it. Here’s how:
- Pull out your air filter
- Hold it up to the light
- If you can see light through it, you’re good. If you can’t, it’s time to get a new filter
- With a disposable filter, simply replace it with a new one of the same size
Checking your thermostat
Checking your thermostat is one of the easiest fixes for your furnace. And surprisingly, it can resolve a lot of common furnace repairs. Here how to do it:
- Double check that your thermostat is set to “heat” and that they temperature is set above the current room temperature
- Change the battery if necessary
Open your vents
Did you know that you can save money by shutting the vents in a room that isn’t being used? If you said yes, you have fallen victim to this common misconception. This rumour is actually false. In fact, when you close your vents you can actually end up costing yourself more money because it creates the need for repairs. How? It leads to a buildup of pressure in your furnace. In return, your furnace has to work harder to heat your home. The result is mold buildup, compressor damage, failed motors, and so on and so forth. So keep your vents open!
2) Does my warranty become void without Lakewood Furnace Repair Tuneups?
While we can not speak for all manufacture warranties, in most cases the answer is yes. Most manufacturers require annual maintenance checks to keep the warranty valid. So while it may seem inconvenient, it will actually save you a ton of money if your furnace ever does decide to stop working.
3) What should I expect during a tune-up?
Did you know that your heating and AC units naturally lose efficiency over time? Dirt buildup, wear and tear, and other factors can all influence the efficiency of your furnace and lead to higher energy bills. Regular checkups can help to prevent this from happening. So what will your technician do during a checkup?
- They will clean your equipment.
- Check for any signs of wear and tear.
- They can replace any parts that are starting to fail – before they actually fail.
- They will replace the air filter if necessary.
- Recommend a replacement if necessary.
4) What should I expect after Lakewood Furnace Repair?
After a tuneup your furnace will:
- Be ready to battle the cold weather!
- Provide you with cleaner and fresher air throughout the home.
- Decease your energy bills. In fact, a simple tune-up can improve energy efficiency by up to 30 percent!
- Last longer – with regular maintenance checkups your furnace should last between 8-18 years.
5) Who can I call for Lakewood Furnace Repair?
Torreys Peak Mechanical! With over 30 years of experience in the AC and heating industry, Torrey’s provides service that is unbeatable. What do we promise? Honesty, professionalism, quality, and affordability. That means that we’ll never “fix” something just to take your money! And as a family owned business themselves, you can feel comfortable that you are not being taken advantage of and that your furnace and family are in good hands. Give us a call today, and one of our friendly pros will be happy to help you with anything and everything that you might need.